Julia: The last days have been very busy , because we are moving away from Vienna: packing, organizing, painting, saying goodbye.
We are really exited to spend the summer in Meran, my hometown. Even though it wasn’t really the plan to go to South Tyrol, I think we are gonna have wonderful time there, enjoying the summer, sun and mountains!
While packing and getting ready for the moving, we wanted to post our weekly recipe and I think this week we have been very successful. A few days before we got some new plates for our dishes, because after a while it’s getting sort of boring, eating always from the same plates.
This week we wanted to cook a nice fish dish, seasonable to this lovely and warm spring days. We barely buy fresh fish in Vienna, because it’s not so easy to get a fresh one and besides that it’s really expensive. It’s also the first time we cook with topinambour(Jerusalem Artichoke) and to be honest I really like the flavor. For me it tastes a lot like artichokes; we made a puree out of it by cooing the peel and the flesh.
What you need for this dish, 2 serves:
- 5 tubers of Topinambour.
- 1/2 Fennel.
- 200 gr of Cod. (without scales, skin or spines)
- 2 pieces of baby Radish
- Purple and green sprouts
- Green tips from the fennel.
- 30 ml of dark beer
- Black Sesame seeds
- Sesame oil
- 1 Garlic clove.
- Roasted Cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive oil
And this is how you do it:
- We will start with the topinambour puree: Take a small pot with water and some salt and bring it to boil , cook the topinambour for about 20 min till it get’s soft. Strain it and keep some of the water for blending afterwards. Place it inside a blender, add Olive Oil, some of the water you cooked it in, Salt and Pepper. You don’t need much more of herbs, because the topinambour has a very strong flavor itself. Blend it till you get a creamy mixture.
- Wash and cut the fennel in small pieces. Place a pot on high heat add some Olive Oil and add the fennel. Let it roast till it gets a nice golden color on both sides, then add the cumin on top, reduce the heat until low adding also salt and pepper and cook just a little bit longer, so they are still crunchy but softer. At the very end add the dark beer and covering with a lid let it reduce. Turn off the fire and let them rest.
- For the fish, place in in a small bowl, add salt, pepper, sesame oil and the garlic clove smashed and chopped finely. Spread all the ingredients around the fish and let it rest for a few minutes. For cooking just place a pan on medium fire with a little bit of olive oil. Put the fish and let it cook until golden brown. Flip and repeat the process for a short period of time, don’t let your fish get dry! Place it out of the pan and let it rest.
- For plating it’s really simple, just begging cutting off the greens of the fennel and some colorfully sprouts, also peel along some radish or you can simply cut them in circles. These small things makes a difference at the final presentation, as you can see in the pictures, are some small tips for make your dish look more tastier and beautiful!
- Place some hot topinambour puree on the middle of the plate, place the fish on top of it or on a side and then the cooked fennel that you can stand it up or lay it down. At the end some of the sprouts and greens all around. spread some black sesame seeds on top of the fish and that’s all!
This is a really nice example of how different can you make a same dish using these small tips that makes of your dinner looks much better!
We must say that the tried the topinambour couple of weeks ago in a restaurant and we were surprised of how deep was the flavour and how tasty and incredible was found it in a dinner! Afterwards thinking on making a fish plates, these main ingredients together with the fennel makes of it a recipe from scratch, the three of them combines very well and the difference in the textures inside is amazing!
We are really happy of this recipe and we would be even more if we hear you repeat it. These are some of the dishes we got couple of weeks ago and we had a nice time decorating and placing these amusing ingredients on top, here you have some suggestions how you could plate it, adventure yourself and try a new way, share your experience with us!
Julia & Iker! ( :